advertisement

Unattended cooking oil causes fire in north Columbia home

Saturday, May 22, 2010 | 4:47 p.m. CDT

COLUMBIA — An unattended pan of oil caused a fire in a Holly Avenue home Saturday, according to a Columbia Fire Department news release.

Katherine Wright reported the fire at 11:07 a.m. after discovering smoke and flames in her kitchen. Her young granddaughter had cooked french fries on the stove top using a pan of oil, but then forgot to turn off the burner upon completion, according to the release.

Upon arrival, fire crews found a small fire in the kitchen, which they brought under control within five minutes. Additional crews removed the remaining smoke from the home.

Fire damage in the kitchen and minor smoke damage throughout the home caused an estimated $2,500 worth of damage, according to the release. There were no injuries.

There were no working smoke alarms in the home. Firefighters installed a smoke alarm before leaving the scene.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements