COLUMBIA — The Missouri Department of Transportation plans to improve 13 bridges in Boone, Callaway and Cooper counties during this year and next. The work is part of the statewide Safe and Sound Bridge Improvements Program.
An open-house community briefing on the projects is scheduled for 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. on June 16 at MoDOT's Project Office Garage, 4201 Paris Road.
Here are the locations and rough schedules for Boone County bridges to be fixed this year:
- August: The I-70 South Outer Road bridge over Grindstone Creek.
- September: The southbound U.S. 63 bridge over Turkey Creek
- September/October: The I-70 North Outer Road bridge over Cedar Creek.
Construction on the following Boone County bridges will be complete by the end of 2011:
- Two I-70 South Outer Road bridges just west of Stadium Boulevard.
- The I-70 North Outer Road bridge over Little Cedar Creek.
- The Route WW bridge over the North Fork Grindstone Creek.
The Safe and Sound program will replace or repair 90 bridges in mid-Missouri and 802 bridges across Missouri over the next five years. KTU Constructors will replace 554 bridges at a total cost of $487 million.
Eric Schroeder of the Safe and Sound program said the bridges selected for improvement all fell into the "poor" category on a MoDOT ratings system. He said the bridges also were also selected because routes can be easily diverted during construction and they are not extremely large.
Bob Brendel, MoDOT outreach coordinator, said speedy construction is one of the goals of the program.