advertisement

Boone Hospital Center sign catches fire Tuesday

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 | 8:33 a.m. CDT; updated 10:58 a.m. CDT, Wednesday, June 9, 2010

COLUMBIA — Nobody was injured when Boone Hospital Center's sign caught fire Tuesday night around 11:30 p.m., according to a Columbia Fire Department news release.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 1600 E. Broadway for a reported commercial structure fire. The Boone Hospital Center sign was on fire and melting onto the roof, causing damage.

Fire crews extinguished the fire and then used hand tools and a chainsaw to remove the 5-feet-by-8-feet area of roof membrane and foam insulation the sign had melted.

The flames were due to an electrical fire, but after investigation, it was not ruled whether the fire was sparked from inside the sign or if it started because of lightning strikes, said Battalion chief James L. Weaver..

The estimated cost of roof and sign damage totals $5,000.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements