COLUMBIA — Several Columbia boards and commissions are looking for new members.
Those who wish to apply can send their applications to the clerk’s office, 701 E. Broadway, fourth floor, by noon July 9. Applications are available at the clerk’s office or on the City Council page at GoColumbiaMo.com.
The following are the board and commission openings:
The Bicycle/Pedestrian Commission: Two members are needed: one with knowledge of bicycling, bicycle safety and bikeways and the other with an interest in pedestrian safety and infrastructure.
- Both must be qualified voters of Columbia.
- Terms expire July 31, 2013.
- Required monthly meetings are at 7 p.m. on the third Wednesday.
The Board of Electrical Examiners: Three members are needed: one registered professional engineer, one licensed electrician and one layperson.
- Terms expire Aug. 1, 2013.
- The board gives examinations for electricians’ licenses and certificates.
- Monthly meetings are held as necessary at 4:30 p.m. on the third Thursday.
The Board of Mechanical Examiners: One member is needed: a general contractor who is a Columbia resident but not in the heating, ventilation, air conditioning or refrigeration business.
- The term expires June 17, 2011.
- The board gives examinations for mechanical heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration licenses and certificates.
- Monthly meetings are at 5 p.m. on the second Tuesday
The Building Construction Codes Commission: Eight members are needed. One regular member and one alternate member for four categories: electrical and mechanical engineer, structural and civil engineer, master plumber and landlord.
- Terms expire Aug. 1, 2013.
- Monthly meetings are at 4:30 p.m. on the fourth Monday.
The Community Development Commission: One member needed: a qualified voter and resident of Ward 5
- The term expires Nov. 1, 2011.
- The applicant shall not serve on the board of directors or be employed by any agency which applies for funding through the commission or which receives funding upon recommendation of the commission.
- Monthly meetings are held on call.
The Comprehensive Plan Task Force: One member is needed. Consideration is given to those with service on a city commission and professional credentials or participation in civic, business or professional organizations
- The task force advises and assists the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council on matters of development in the city.
- Monthly meeting are from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Wednesdays.
The Cultural Affairs Commission: One member is needed: a layperson who shall not serve on the board of directors or be employed by any agency that receives money from the commission.
- The term expires Oct. 31, 2011
- Monthly meetings are at 4:15 p.m. on the second Monday.
The Mayor’s Committee on Physical Fitness: One member will be appointed by the mayor. The committee educates the public about the importance of regular physical fitness activity.
- The term expires Nov. 30, 2012
- Monthly meetings are held as needed, and quarterly meetings are at 12:30 p.m. on the first Tuesday of the designated month.
The Source Water Protection Plan Task Force: Four members are needed. Consideration is given to those with prior service on a city board or commission, professional credentials or participation in a civic, business or professional organizations.
- The task force assists in the preparation of a source water protection plan.
- Meetings are held on call.
The Substance Abuse Advisory Commission: One member is needed: a health care professional with a demonstrated interest for substance and alcohol abuse problems in the community.
- The term expires Oct. 31, 2011.
- Monthly meetings are at noon on the second Wednesday.