COLUMBIA — The string of recent calls of shots fired are due to feuding between two groups in Columbia, according to a Columbia Police Department news release.
“We know, because of the information we continue to receive, who the responsible individuals are,” police spokeswoman Jessie Haden said. “We must receive information from people who were actually witnesses or victims in order to obtain the probable cause necessary to make arrests.”
Although the reason for the feuds is still not known with certainty, police have received tips with possible reasons. One theory is that a feud is over a man stealing another man's girlfriend. Another is that there is a long standing feud because of a past incident of shots fired. A third theory is that the shots fired are related to gang and drug trade affiliations.
Some of the individuals involved in this feud have been identified by police as the same individuals responsible for multiple incidents on Quail Drive last year.
In the month of June, according to the release, there were seven incidents.
There have been five so far in July, including Friday's incident at the Boone County Fairgrounds.
Haden wants to “encourage the remaining suspects to go ahead and turn themselves in, because it is just a matter of time before we pick them up. We know who they are.” She also encourages any witnesses or anyone with any further information regarding these incidents to call Crime Stoppers at 875-8477.
The shootings suspected to be related include:
- May 14: Shots were fired in an apparent drug feud at 101 E. Green Meadows Road.
- June 4: Shots were fired into a home at 610 Washington Ave. Police believe this was a case of the suspects having a wrong address because the resident has no ties to the individuals involved.
- June 6: Shots were fired at a large gathering at 2625 N. Stadium Blvd.
- June 16: There was a disturbance with a gun at Douglass Park.
- June 27: Shots were fired at three men by the occupants of a Chevy Avalanche at Fifth and Rogers streets, and shots were fired from a red Pontiac Grand Am at Clinkscales Road and Patsy Lane.
- June 29: A person displayed a handgun to people in another vehicle at Burlington Street and Heriford Road. This incident has been linked to previous incidents at Scott Boulevard and Oak and Lincoln streets.
- June 29: Shots were fired by a truck's occupants at another vehicle near Hinkson Avenue and William Street.
- June 29: Shots were fired by the occupants of a red Ford Crown Victoria in the 1400 block of Greensboro Drive.
- July 1: Shots were fired in the 500 block of West Ash Street. Police arrested Marquez Lawhorn and Richard Dekruyff in connection with this incident.
- July 10: Shots were fired by the occupants of a green SUV at Sanford Avenue and Worley Street.
- July 20: Occupants of both a white SUV and a burgundy four-door vehicle exchanged gunfire in the 2300 block of Whitegate Drive.
- Friday: A house containing 11 people in the 200 block of Hickman Avenue was fired upon during a drive-by shooting. No injuries resulted from this shooting.
- Friday: A man was shot at the Boone County Fairgrounds.