The mission of alleyCat Yoga, located in downtown Columbia, is to create a safe and sacred space so the benefits of the practices of yoga can be fully realized by all, says the website.
Element Yoga and Health Studio
- 1506 Chapel Hill Road, Suite E; 446-9700
- You can apply for an introductory class online.
- Student discounts available on memberships with a valid ID.
- 300 St. James St.; 356-0162
- Home of Wave Flow Yoga
- A donation-only yoga studio. A donation of $12 is suggested.
Elm Street Yoga
- 904 Elm St.; 441-8566
- The registration form can be printed from their website and mailed in, but they do not accept phone registration.
- They do not offer drop-in or try-out classes, unless you are coming in from out of town.
Walking into the studio on the ground floor of the Tiger Hotel, participants will first notice the soothing sounds of the music and the sweet smell of incense wafting through the large, naturally-lit room.
Aside from creating a relaxing space, the studio focuses on “individualized attention, as well as safety and comfort in each pose,” said Jan Wheeler, instructor of the senior chair and Yoga Nidra classes.
AlleyCat emphasizes Kripalu Yoga—a combination of meditation and poses, but also includes Vinyasa and prenatal yoga classes, as well as stress reduction.
Drop-in classes range from $5-16, depending on class length.
Participants can also purchase a yoga pass:
- 14 classes over 12 weeks: $172
- 8 classes over 12 weeks: $110
- 8 classes over 8 weeks: $105
- 6 classes over 8 weeks: $84
- 10 classes NON-expiring pass: $150
- 4 classes NON-expiring Gift Pass: $60
For more information on classes and fees, go to the website.
AlleyCat’s main entrance is accessible through Addison’s alley off Cherry Street.