COLUMBIA — A home at 504 Rogers St. caught fire on Saturday morning when a 7-year-old tried to cook popcorn in a microwave, authorities said.
No one was injured.
The fire was reported by an unknown caller at 10:30 a.m., according to Capt. Eric Hartman of the Columbia Fire Department. Firefighters brought the fire under control within five minutes.
The 7-year-old's mother, who remained unidentified by authorities, was taken by ambulance to University Hospital earlier in the morning and was still in the hospital when the fire happened, the department said.
A city directory listed Bobbie Hendricks as the resident.
The department said an 18-year-old sibling was also at home during the fire.
The fire affected mainly the kitchen area, but smoke and water damage extended throughout the house. The department estimated the damage at $5,000.
The Boone County Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping the family recover, the department said.