COLUMBIA – One person was injured escaping from a fire in Columbia Square Apartments on Wednesday night.
Initial reports indicated one or more people were possibly trapped in the apartment when the fire started, according to a news release from the Columbia Fire Department.
When firefighters arrived on the scene, they found that the apartment's occupants had exited the apartment through a window on the ground floor, according to the news release.
Brittney True, 24, and her sister Danielle True, 14, were in the apartment at the time of the fire.
No one else was in the apartment at the time of the fire, Battalion Chief Steven Sapp said.
Danielle True* had cuts on her foot from broken glass. She was taken to Boone Hospital Center with non-life threatening injuries.
A Columbia police officer arrived on the scene before the Fire Department and used a fire extinguisher from his patrol car to combat the fire, according to the news release.
The victim’s neighbor, Chrissy Holcomb, said the victim knocked on her door yelling "fire" at about 8 p.m.
Three people lived in the home, as well as a dog and a hamster, Holcomb said.
The fire started in the kitchen when the occupants were heating a pan of grease on the stove and left the kitchen. The fire then spread to the microwave and cabinets above the stove. Fire and smoke damage was confined to the kitchen. The rest of the apartment sustained light smoke damage. The damage is estimated to be about $5,000, according to the news release.