COLUMBIA — Nine burglaries were reported over the weekend. The incidents occurred between Saturday afternoon and early Sunday morning, according to a news release from the Columbia Police Department.
It is likely that perpetrators took advantage of people leaving their homes for the Homecoming parade and football game, the release stated. Most of the items reported stolen were computers, computer gaming equipment and televisions.
View Homecoming day burglaries in a larger map.
Over the weekend, Columbia police officers also responded to 52 disturbance calls, 30 peace disturbance calls, eight shots fired calls and 23 traffic incidents between 5 p.m. on Friday and noon on Sunday.
Police made eight arrests:
- One on suspicion of a liquor law violation
- One on suspicion of public nuisance (urinating in public)
- Four on suspicion of driving while intoxicated
- One on suspicion of disturbing the peace
- One on suspicion of holding a loud party
A majority of the calls happened in the 24-hour period between midnight on Friday and midnight on Saturday.
- Friday, 5 p.m. to midnight: five disturbance calls, two peace disturbance calls, seven traffic accidents and one shots fired call. Two homes were struck by bullets on the 1100 block of Jewell Avenue. No one was injured.
- Saturday, midnight to 8 a.m.: 14 calls for disturbances, 14 calls for disturbing the peace calls, two traffic accidents and two calls for shots fired. At 12:59 a.m., by Rice Road and Ballenger Lane, four shots and vehicles leaving the area were overheard, and nothing was located. At 1:14 a.m., police were dispatched to a homicide investigation at a Break Time gas station on East Nifong Boulevard.
- Saturday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.: five calls about disturbances, two calls about disturbing the peace, 10 traffic accidents.
- Saturday, 7 p.m. to midnight: eight calls for disturbances, three calls for disturbing the peace, one traffic accident, and three calls for shots fired. At 10:48 p.m., a caller reported hearing two shots near the 4300 block of Jeana Court, and nothing was located. At 11:03 p.m., a caller reported hearing two shots near the 2100 block of Speck Court, and nothing was located. At 11:11 p.m., a caller reported hearing three shots fired near the 4700 block of Wren Wood Drive, and nothing was located.
- Sunday, midnight to noon: 20 calls for disturbances, nine calls for disturbing the peace, three traffic accidents and two calls for shots fired. At 12:39 a.m., a caller reported hearing multiple shots near the 3700 block of Clark Lane, and nothing was located. At 8:17 a.m., a caller reported hearing one shot, and nothing was located.
The release stated one or more of the shots fired calls might have been fireworks.
Police requested anyone with information on the burglaries or any of the other incidents to contact them at 874-7652 or Crime Stoppers at 875-TIPS.