COLUMBIA — During the coming election, we will once again have to make decisions regarding political officials and candidates. What we use to assess these people and how we assess them is important. Assessing people critically and fairly requires focus, effort and discipline. Here are some factors that might be considered when making assessments about individuals.
- First consider the person, the person’s mission and the context.
- What does the person say they want to do and are doing? Intentions and actions are vitally important. Consider their intelligence and integrity
- Consider the background experience and training.
- Consider the interests, influences and relationships of the person.
- Consider the patterns of behaviors, performance and impacts in previous and current personal and professional roles.
All of the resources available should be researched to obtain the appropriate data to make an assessment and take actions you want to take based upon a responsible assessment.