Anderson frustrated during first half of Missouri men's basketball team's final exhibition game

Friday, November 12, 2010 | 9:59 p.m. CST; updated 10:43 p.m. CST, Friday, November 12, 2010
Missouri's Kim English dives for control of the ball against Arkansas-Fort Smith's Josh Simmons.

COLUMBIA — Just 10 minutes into the game, the jacket came off.

Missouri men’s basketball coach Mike Anderson, known for throwing his jacket when he’s frustrated, threw his light brown jacket just 10 minutes into the team’s final exhibition game against Arkansas Fort Smith.

“The jacket coming off means somebody’s in trouble,” sophomore guard Michael Dixon said. “I don’t really know who, or what, but somebody is.”

Anderson was frustrated after junior guard Kim English received back-to-back charging fouls while going for lay-ups. At the time, the game was tied at 16 points each. After the second charging call against English, the 8,225 fans at Mizzou Arena erupted in boos, and Anderson threw his jacket before heading roughly 15 feet onto Norm Stewart Court to voice his disagreement with the referees. Assistant coach T.J. Cleveland ended up having to wrap his arm around Anderson and pull him back before the team received a technical foul.

“Did it come off? I didn’t even realize it did,” Anderson said. “It wasn’t so much at the players as it was what was taking place out there, which I can’t comment on.”

Anderson then joked about the situation.

“It was hot in there, how about that?”

A few minutes later, senior forward Justin Safford stole the ball right in front of the Arkansas Fort Smith basket, and when he went right in for the lay-up, he was wrapped up immediately by Fort Smith junior guard Kelson Stewart. Anderson wanted a technical foul on Stewart, but once again, the call did not go Missouri’s way. A media timeout was then called, and Anderson spent much of the timeout voicing his disagreements about the call with the referee.

Adding to Anderson’s frustration was the fact that his players came out flat; the team didn’t score a field goal until six and a half minutes into the game, when Missouri trailed by three.

“It just lets you know that he’s getting more serious,” junior forward Laurence Bowers said. “Him taking the jacket off doesn’t really scare me, but when he takes it off, it’s like okay, we better pick it up.”

Missouri continued to struggle for the first half before scoring 70 points in the second half to win 115-74. The team opens up the regular season when it hosts Western Illinois on Thursday night in the first round of the 2010 Cancun Challenge.

During halftime, with the team holding a 45-33 lead, Anderson settled down. He walked back out onto the court with his jacket back on and kept it on for the rest of the game.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.