Columbia, Boone County, MU to discuss Hinkson Creek with EPA

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 | 4:53 p.m. CST; updated 5:33 p.m. CST, Saturday, January 1, 2011

COLUMBIA — Representatives of the city of Columbia, Boone County and MU will meet on Monday at the Environmental Protection Agency Region 7 office in Kansas City to discuss the EPA's draft recommendations to clean up Hinkson Creek.

The latest draft recommendations — called a TMDL or Total Maximum Daily Load — call for Columbia to reduce the amount of stormwater that runs into Hinkson Creek by 39.6 percent.

In a cover letter to the city's comments on the EPA's draft recommendations, Mayor Bob McDavid asked the EPA to host a meeting with the city, Boone County and MU  staff "to resolve these issues before any TMDL is issued for Hinkson Creek."

The city, county and MU have hired a lawyer, David Shorr of Lathrop and Gage, to represent them.

EPA Region 7 spokesman Kris Lancaster said, "Our goal is to meet and accommodate their request and listen to their concerns."

The meeting will be held at 10:30 a.m. in Room 5160 at the EPA office at 901 N. Fifth St. in Kansas City.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.