COLUMBIA — The public can apply for several openings on city boards and commissions. Applications are available at the city clerk's office or on the City Council page of the city's website. The applications must be received by the clerk's office, 701 E. Broadway, 2nd floor, by noon Jan. 7.
For questions contact the City Clerk's Office at 874-7208.
The openings are:
- The Citizens Police Review Board: One vacancy, expires Nov. 1, 2012. Must be a Columbia resident and registered voter. Applicants can't be an elected official, candidate for office, employed by the city or be a party to pending litigation against the city. The board meets at 7 p.m. on the second Wednesday of the month. The purpose is to review appeals from the police chief's decisions on police misconduct, hold public meetings and education programs for police officers and residents and review and make recommendations on police procedures, policies and training.
- The Downtown Columbia Leadership Council: Two vacancies, expire May 1, 2012. Applicants must submit a letter from an officer of his or her neighborhood association stating he or she has been designated by the association as its representative. The council meets at 4 p.m. on the fourth Monday of the month. Member will review boundaries of an expanded downtown development area and work with others to create a comprehensive downtown strategic plan.
- The Board of Mechanical Examiners: One vacancy, expires June 17, 2011. Applicants must be a Columbia resident and general contractor not in the HVACR business. The board meets at 5 p.m. on the second Tuesday of the month. The board gives examinations for mechanical heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration licenses and certificates.
- The Building Construction Codes Commission: Four vacancies, expire Aug. 1, 2011, Aug. 1, 2012, and Aug. 1, 2013. The commission meets 4:30 p.m. on the fourth Monday of the month. The committee periodically reviews and makes recommendations related to building construction codes.
- The Finance Advisory and Audit Committee: One vacancy, expires Dec. 31, 2013. Applicants must be a registered voter and Columbia resident for at least a year before appointment. Business owner will be given consideration. The committee meets as needed and makes recommendations on financial matters to the City Council when needed.
- The Health Insurance Appeals Board: One vacancy, expires Feb. 16, 2014. Substantive professional experience in benefits administration for a large organization is needed. The board meets as needed and hears appeals from decisions of the administrator.
- The Source Water Protection Plan Task Force: One vacancy. Consideration will be given to applicants with prior service on a city board or commission, professional credentials or participation in a civic, business or professional organization. The task force meets as needed. It will help prepare a source water protection plan outlined by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources' "Guidelines for Developing a Source Water Protection Plan."