TODAY'S QUESTION: What can Columbia residents do to help those living in Regency Mobile Home Park?
Friday, January 28, 2011 | 12:01 a.m. CST
COLUMBIA — Residents of Columbia Regency Mobile Home Park face many problems. Here are just a few:
- Abandoned, dilapidated trailers that house squatters and vermin.
- Drug dealers and users walking the streets or selling from cars.
- Unmaintained tree branches crashing through roofs.
- High electrical bills — some as high as $500 per month — that cannot be explained.
- Residents unable to secure a title from management once a trailer is paid off, despite the existence of written agreements.
- A constant threat of eviction.
A three-month investigation into the mobile home park, 2701 E. Nifong Blvd., shows hundreds upon hundreds of health and safety violations, police dispatches far outnumbering any other trailer park in Columbia, and one company's track record of neglect and greed spreading throughout the U.S.
Why don’t residents just leave? Because most can’t afford the moving costs associated with relocating a trailer to another park.
What can Columbia residents do to help the tenants of Regency Mobile Home Park?
Like what you see here? Become a member.
Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.
You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.
Leave a comment
Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines
outlined below and register with our site.
You must be logged in to comment. (Our
full comment policy is here.)
- Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
- Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or
discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
- Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will
be published with every comment.
(Read why we ask for that here.)
- Don’t solicit or promote businesses.
We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see
something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.
You must be logged in to comment.