Missouri panel considers grants for high test scores

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 | 12:44 p.m. CST; updated 9:06 p.m. CST, Tuesday, February 15, 2011

JEFFERSON CITY — Missouri high school students who score well on college-level math and science exams might get more help to pay for a college education.

A bill considered Tuesday by the House Higher Education Committee would give one-time $500 grants to high school seniors who score a three or higher on at least two Advanced Placement exams in math or science. The students would have to be eligible for aid from the Access Missouri or A+ scholarship programs to get the grant.

State analysts say about 162 students statewide would qualify for the grants.

Gov. Jay Nixon called for the grants in his State of the State address last month. Education officials support the bill. They say the grants will encourage more students to take the tests and get better scores.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Cole Kennedy February 16, 2011 | 11:14 a.m.

How about funding the Bright Flight scholarship first?

(Report Comment)

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.