Attention Missouri utilities users: You may have to pay higher rates if Senate Bill 50, introduced by Sen. Mike Kehoe, passes, as it would allow the costs of the second Callaway Nuclear Power Plant to be charged to you.
Please contact your state officers in your opposition to this bill. Some of my other concerns are:
- There are dangers from mining to production.
- A serious accident would contaminate our soils and waters, and destroy our food supply for thousands of years.
- There is no way for permanent disposal of nuclear wastes.
- The high costs of the proposed second plant will discourage growth and will result in job loss instead of job gain.
- Government reimbursement is very limited.
- Nuclear power is not a renewable source of energy.
- Use of nuclear power will be leaving a Pandora's box for our children and further generations.
- There are other, safer renewable sources of energy, and we should be investing in their development. A nuclear accident would make BP's oil accident minor in comparison.
- Nuclear power plants and shipments of their wastes across states may become a prime target for terrorists. There has already been a suspected terroristworking in at least one of our nuclear power plants.
Louis J. Anesi lives in Centralia