Seven public forums will be held across the state in March to gauge public opinion on finding the next president of the University of Missouri System.
Four of the forums will be held on the campuses of the system's universities, with the remaining three in Portageville, St. Joseph and Springfield.
The UM System Board of Curators is seeking comments from Missouri residents about the qualities, characteristics and background they would like to see in a university president.
“It's important to have these public forums because I, for one, would like to get public input on the job description and the kind of person we're looking for,” Chairman Warren Erdman said during the curators' January meeting.
Members of the presidential search committee, the search advisory committee and university and search firm representatives will attend the forums.
“It's important that we bring the public into this process as best we can,” Erdman said.
The public forums are as follows:
- Thursday, March 3, 11 a.m. — Delta Center, Portageville.
- Monday, March 7, 11 a.m. – University of Missouri-St. Louis Millennium Student Center, Century Room.
- Tuesday, March 8, 11 a.m. - University of Missouri-Kansas City Student Union, Theatre.
- Tuesday, March 8, 3 p.m. - Missouri Western University Blum Student Union, Hoff Conference Room, St. Joseph.
- Monday, March 14, 3 p.m. - University of Missouri Reynolds Alumni Center, Columns Room 208, Columbia.
- Tuesday, March 15, 11 a.m. - Missouri S&T Havener Center, St. Pat's Ballroom A, Rolla.
- Tuesday March 15, 4 p.m. - The Discovery Center Auditorium, Springfield.
Gary Forsee stepped down as president of the UM System on Jan. 7 to focus on his wife's recovery from cancer.
General counsel for the UM System Steve Owens was appointed interim president, but he has said he does not want to be considered as a candidate.