COLUMBIA — A man attempted to evade a sobriety checkpoint conducted by the Boone County Sheriff's Department and Hallsville Police Department on Saturday night.
Sgt. Brian Leer of the sheriff's department said that Lucas George Wren tried to avoid the checkpoint but was stopped by a police officer on I-70. The man fled on foot across the interstate and was finally arrested on the 4000 block of I-70 East by a Boone County sheriff's deputy on suspicion of driving while intoxicated and on two counts of resisting arrest, Leer said.
The sheriff's department conducted the sobriety checkpoint at about midnight in the 5800 block of St. Charles Road, he said.
Leer said about 135 vehicles were checked, and officers made 13 arrests:
- Seven misdemeanor arrests for driving while intoxicated with alcohol.
- Two additional misdemeanor charges for resisting arrest.
- One arrest for an outstanding misdemeanor warrant.
- Two arrests for driving without a license.
- One arrest for driving with a suspended or revoked license.