COLUMBIA — Maintenance staff and management continue to clean up after a fire and flooding at Paquin Tower.
Penney Harrington, manager of the building, said water from sprinklers damaged about 12 units, but no residents were displaced.
The sprinkler system was activated after a fire started from the kitchen stove of a fourth floor unit Monday night. The water from the sprinklers, flowing at a rate of 250 gallons per minute, spread to the lower floors, causing water damage throughout the building.
"When I walked into the building, it looked like a waterfall coming down the elevator," Harrington said. "We are dealing with a bit of smoke damage as well, but our main focus is that all the water is cleaned up, and it doesn't have time to sit around."
Harrington said she is concerned that the water damage could lead to mold and mildew problems if not cleaned up quickly.
According to a previous Missourian report, there were no injuries, but fire damage was estimated at $10,000.