A magnitude 8.9 earthquake hit off the coast of Japan on Friday, spurring a tsunami that killed hundreds of people in Japan and created warnings across the globe. Here is a list of stories and resources covering the details of the natural disaster that struck the Asian country.
- Two MU alumni shared their experiences in Japan during the earthquake.
- The Associated Press reported on the earthquake and ensuing tsunami early in the day, with an update on the death toll and destruction later in the morning.
- Waves from the tsunami eventually reached Hawaii, and the West Coast of the United States also prepared for effects of the disaster.
- Get a glimpse of the destruction the disaster in this photo slideshow.
- U.S. President Barack Obama pledged American assistance in helping Japan recover.
- The Washington Post's Valerie Strauss compiled a list of facts and resources to educate parents, teachers, students and everyone else about earthquakes and tsunamis.
Check back, as more stories will be added as more information becomes available.