COLUMBIA — Boone County Sheriff’s deputies are investigating the shooting death of a 27-year-old man during an apparent home invasion late Sunday night in the Country House apartment complex north of Columbia.
Donnell Gregory Coleman, of 7711 La Porte Ave., Apt. A, was pronounced dead shortly after the shooting which occurred about 11:35 p.m. A 25-year-old woman also at the residence was not injured, according to a news release from the sheriff's department.
So far in 2011, two homicides have happened in Columbia.
- April 17, 2011 — The Boone County Sheriff's Department is currently investigating the death of Donnell Gregory Coleman, 27, of 7711 La Porte Ave., Apt. A.
- Jan. 18, 2011 —James Leon Porter, 31, of Columbia was found wounded on the ground of the Sunset Mobile Home Park at 4130 Lenoir St. Porter had fatal stab wounds and was unresponsive to paramedics.
In 2010, there were three homicides in Columbia.
- Dec. 20, 2010 — Aletha M. Turner, 67, was found unconscious by relatives at her Dewey Lane home in the Breezewood Estates subdivision in northeast Columbia. Turner suffered substantial fatal wounds.
- Oct. 24, 2010 — Jerry Schneider, 52, was found dead at 1601 Range Line St., formerly Everett's Restaurant.
- Oct. 23, 2010 — Aaron Hobson, 22, of Wichita, Kan., was shot in the chest multiple times at the Break Time convenience store at 110 E. Nifong Blvd. He was in Columbia to watch his cousin, MU cornerback Trey Hobson, play in the Homecoming football game against Oklahoma.
The release stated Coleman was shot once after two male suspects forcibly entered through the apartment’s front door. The suspects immediately fled the apartment after the shooting and are believed to have left the scene in a dark-colored sedan.
The Mid-Missouri Major Case Squad began investigating the shooting at 9 a.m. Monday.
Sheriff's deputies are asking anyone with information to call Crime Stoppersat 875-TIPS.