COLUMBIA — A fire burned through a home in east Columbia early Sunday morning.
Crews from the Columbia Fire Department arrived at 2:39 a.m. to find smoke showing at 1013 Crump Lane, according to a fire department news release. Flames were reported coming from a front window of the house shortly after, according to the release.
Homeowner Steven Bowne, his roommate, one dog and one cat had evacuated without injuries when fire crews arrived, but one cat died in the fire, according to the release. Crews extinguished the fire in about 15 minutes.
According to the release, smoke detectors woke up Bowne and his roommate, who found smoke in the building. After trying to extinguish the fire themselves, they escaped and called 911 at 2:35 a.m., according to the release.
Assistant Fire Marshal Stephen Potter said in the release that the fire was still under investigation, but gave a preliminary damage estimate of $50,000.