COLUMBIA — MU's colleges and professional schools will confer degrees to 5,319 students on graduation weekend, May 13-15.
The weekend commencements will kick off at 1 p.m. Friday with a Trulaske College of Business graduation and end at 2:30 p.m. Sunday with a ceremonies for graduates in the College of Engineering.
- Trulaske College of Business, 1 p.m., Hearnes Center. Speaker: Edward J. Rapp, group president and chief financial officer, Caterpillar Inc.
- College of Veterinary Medicine, 1:30 p.m. Jesse Auditorium, Jesse Hall. Speaker: Marty Becker, veterinary contributor to ABC's "Good Morning America" and pet expert for the American Association of Retired Persons.
- College of Human Environmental Sciences, 4:30 p.m., Hearnes Center. Speaker: Stephen Jorgensen , dean of the College of Human Environmental Sciences.
- School of Nursing, 5:30 p.m., Jesse Auditorium, Jesse Hall. Student speakers: Teak Nelson, PhD candidate, Leann McLaughlin, BSN candidate, and Sue Yun Fowler, BSN candidate.
- School of Journalism, 6:30 p.m., Mizzou Arena. Speaker: Eduardo Ulibarri Bilbao, Costa Rica's ambassador to the United Nations and master's degree recipient from the MU School of Journalism.
- Graduate School, 8 p.m., Hearnes Center. Speaker: Ernest Agee, professor of earth and atmospheric sciences at Purdue University.
- Honors Ceremony, 8:30 a.m., Francis Quadrangle. Speaker: Sheryl Crow, MU graduate and Grammy-winning singer/songwriter.
- School of Natural Resources, noon, Jesse Hall, Jesse Auditorium. Speaker: Laura K. Furgione, deputy assistant administrator for weather services, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and deputy director of the National Weather Service.
- College of Education, 1 p.m., Mizzou Arena. Speaker: Sarah Lucianek, program manager, Whole School, Whole Child, City Year, Washington, D.C.
- School of Medicine, 2:30 p.m., Jesse Auditorium, Jesse Hall. Speaker: Dr. Dan L. Longo, deputy editor for the New England Journal of Medicine and senior physician with Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston.
- College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources, 3 p.m., Hearnes Center. Speaker: Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Missouri
- School of Health Professions, 5:30 p.m., Mizzou Arena. Speaker: Marjorie Smelstor, president and CEO, Smelstor and Associates, Overland Park, Kan.
- College of Arts and Sciences, 7:30 p.m., Hearnes Center. Speaker: Gov. Jay Nixon.
- ROTC Commissioning of Officers, noon, Mizzou Arena. Speaker: Ike Skelton, former Missouri congressman.
- School of Law, 1:30 p.m., Jesse Auditorium, Jesse Hall. Speaker: Chris Koster, Missouri's attorney general.
- College of Engineering, 2:30 p.m., Hearnes Center. Speaker: Blaine Luetkemeyer, U.S. Representative for Missouri's 9th District.
NOTE: Graduates in the School of Social Work will participate in the commencement ceremony for the College of Human Environmental Sciences.
The Honors Ceremony this year may offer the most widely known speaker of all 16 ceremonies. Grammy-winning singer and songwriter Sheryl Crow will deliver the commencement address and receive an honorary degree. Crow graduated from MU in 1984.
Gov. Jay Nixon will be the keynote speaker at the College of Arts and Science ceremony at 7:30 p.m. Saturday May 14 in Hearnes Center. Nixon earned both his undergraduate and law degrees from MU.
Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster is the speaker at the College of Law's commencement at 1:30 p.m. Sunday May 15.
Sen. Claire McCaskill and Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer have both been invited to speak. McCaskill will be at the College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources graduation and Leutkemeyer at the College of Engineering ceremonies.
For more information on the 2011 Spring Commencement, visit MU's commencement website.