Tuesday, May 3, 2011 | 9:02 a.m. CDT;
updated 3:49 p.m. CDT, Tuesday, May 3, 2011
COLUMBIA — A Boone County man died in a fire in a workshop near his home early Tuesday morning.
Emergency workers and firefighters arrived at 5214 S. Cowan Road just after 1 a.m. to find Robert D. Hudson, 72, trapped inside, said Sgt. David Alexander of the Boone County Sheriff's Department.
"He'd been in the building earlier in the evening working, and it was possible he was in there when it started," Alexander said.
No one besides Hudson was hurt in the fire, and no buildings other than the workshop were damaged, Alexander said.
The cause of the fire has yet to be determined, he said.
Boone County fire investigators and a state fire marshal sift through rubble and the charred contents of a large work shed on South Cowan Road early Tuesday morning. An overnight fire destroyed the shed and killed Robert Hudson, 72, who was inside at the time.
A Boone County man was killed in a fire early Tuesday morning at 5214 S. Cowan Road. According to the Boone County Sheriff's Department, Robert Hudson, 72, died in the blaze. Members of the Boone County Fire Protection District fight the early morning fire.
Boone County fire investigators and a state fire marshal investigate a fatal fire on South Cowan Road on Tuesday morning. Robert Hudson, 72, was killed in the fire that engulfed a work shed outside his home.
Boone County Fire Protection District firefighters remove burned pieces of the roof and siding of a work shed during a fatal fire at 5214 S. Cowan Road on early Tuesday. No other structures on the property were damaged.