advertisement

House fire south of Columbia kills nine baby chicks

Monday, May 16, 2011 | 1:01 p.m. CDT; updated 4:05 p.m. CDT, Monday, May 16, 2011

COLUMBIA — A lamp providing heat for baby chicks was the cause of a house fire early Sunday morning, according to Division Chief Gale Blomenkamp of the Boone County Fire Protection District.

The Fire District responded at 5:09 a.m. to 900 E. Bluebird Lane after the homeowner, Philip Miller, reported that his house was on fire, Blomenkamp said.

Firefighters were able to put the fire out within minutes of their arrival, Blomenkamp said.

Miller and his wife, Aleta, reported they were awoken by the smoke alarms and left the house immediately, Blomenkamp said. They were not injured in the fire, but nine baby chicks died. Damages are estimated at $90,000, Blomenkamp said.


View Larger Map


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements