advertisement

Creasy Springs Road house fire damages estimated at $180,000

Thursday, June 16, 2011 | 4:54 p.m. CDT; updated 11:10 p.m. CDT, Thursday, June 16, 2011

COLUMBIA – James Curry thought the neighbors were just burning yard waste when he smelled smoke Wednesday afternoon in a north Columbia neighborhood. Then he heard glass breaking and knew something was wrong.

Curry, who had been hired by residents of the neighborhood to do yard work, was outside at the time of the fire. By the time he had run inside to tell someone to call 911, it was too late.

"There were flames coming out of the windows," he said of the house at 3950 Creasy Springs Road.

Fire crews were dispatched at 3:47 p.m. Authorities at the Boone County Fire Protection District estimate the damage to be around $180,000.

No one was inside the home at the time of the fire, which originated in the living room, fire authorities said. The blaze was caused by an extension cord failure.

The U.S. Fire Administration website reports that on average, home electrical problems cause 28,600 fires and $1.1 billion in property losses in the U.S. every year. Learn what you can do to protect your home on the USFA website.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements