One of the easiest, healthiest and most fun ways to get involved around campus is to join RecSports.
The MU Student Recreation Complex offers RecSports and club sports for athletes and non-athletes. RecSports are open to any student who wants to play; club sports involve tryouts.
Registration: Aug. 23 to 30
Free Agent Meeting: Aug. 25
Captains Meeting: Aug. 31
Play Begins: Sept. 6
Officials Training Begins: Aug. 23 at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Registration: Aug. 30 to Sept. 6
Free Agent Meeting: Sept. 1
Captains Meeting: Sept. 7
Play Begins: Sept. 11
Officials Training Begins: Aug. 28 at 6 p.m.
Registration: Oct. 3 to 10
Free Agent Meeting: Oct 5.
Captains Meeting: Oct. 11
Play Begins: Oct. 17
Officials Training Begins: Sept. 26 at 6 p.m.
Registration: Oct. 10 to 17
Free Agent Meeting: Oct. 11
Captains Meeting: Oct. 19
Play Begins: Oct. 23
Officials Training Begins: Oct. 9 at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- The entry fee for each team is $89.
- All leagues will be four weeks of play.
- Playoffs follow immediately after league play. The top half of the teams in each division advance to the playoffs.
- Team records, sportsmanship, head-to-head play and point differential determine which teams advance.
Flag football, indoor volleyball, soccer and basketball are offered both semesters as RecSports. There are open, coed and Greek leagues for all those sports, and students can participate on multiple teams.
There are men's and women's leagues, as well as black and gold divisions in the open leagues. Students can play on teams in each division, as well as in coed teams, at the same time.
Last spring, more 4,000 students played RecSports in some form. Here's how:
SIGN UP A TEAM FOR RECSPORTS
- Find out what days and times you can play — games are scheduled Sunday-Thursday.
- Come up with an appropriate team name.
- Register and pay for your team at the RecSports office near court No. 4.
- Enter your team at imleagues.com.
- Instruct all players to join your team at imleagues.com.
- Attend the captains meeting.
- Check imleagues.com for the schedule, opponents and division standings.
JOIN A FREE AGENT PROGRAM
For students who don't have a team to join or need more members for a team, RecSports offers a free agent program.
Free agents can register to be contacted by team managers looking for players. They can also attend a preseason managers meeting in hopes of finding a team to join.
BECOME AN OFFICIAL
Students looking to get involved in RecSports who want to make money can become officials.
RecSports offers training programs for all sports with classroom sessions and scrimmages.
Previous knowledge of the sport is a plus but not required.
FIND A CLUB SPORT
In addition to RecSports, MU has more than 40 club sports teams on campus.
Club sports fill a niche between RecSports and varsity sports at MU. They often involve tryouts, higher expenses and greater time commitments.
For more information, students can check out individual club sports online or visit the Club Sports Fair at the MU rec complex from 5 to 7 p.m. on Aug. 31.