Fire department says fireworks may be cause of house fire

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 | 8:06 p.m. CDT; updated 9:07 p.m. CDT, Tuesday, July 5, 2011

COLUMBIA — A house fire Tuesday afternoon may have been caused by the use of fireworks in the home, according to a Columbia Fire Department release.

The fire department was dispatched at 2:15 p.m. to 314 Hillsdale Rd., the report stated. The home owner, David Moss, and his three children were in the house at the time of the fire, according to the release.


Related Media

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but reports indicate that children may have used fireworks in the home, Battalion Chief Steven Sapp said. However, no evidence of fireworks was found, the release stated.

The fire was contained to a closet and bedroom, and it took less than five minutes to extinguish, Sapp said. Damages to the house are estimated at $2,500, he said.

No one was injured in the fire, he said.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.