advertisement

Second defendant pleads guilty in Hobson case

Monday, August 15, 2011 | 8:03 p.m. CDT; updated 8:46 p.m. CDT, Monday, August 15, 2011

COLUMBIA — The youngest of the eight co-defendants accused in the shooting death of Aaron Hobson pleaded guilty to second-degree robbery and armed criminal action at a hearing Monday.

Patrick Marshall, 18, of St. Louis will be sentenced Sept. 19.

Hobson, of Wichita, came to Columbia to watch his cousin, Missouri cornerback Trey Hobson, play in last season's homecoming football game. Aaron Hobson was robbed and then shot in the parking lot of the Break Time convenience store on Nifong Boulevard. Eight men were eventually arrested in connection with the Oct. 23, 2010, event.

Boone County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Knight said the prosecution has recommended a sentence of 20 years in prison for Marshall — 15 years for the charge of second-degree robbery and five years for the charge of armed criminal action. The prosecution has also recommended that these sentences be served consecutively, without the option of probation.

Marshall's attorney, Douglas Forsyth, will have the opportunity to argue for lesser sentences at the Sept. 19 hearing. Forsyth may also ask that the sentences be served congruently. Conversely, Boone County Circuit Court Judge Gary Oxenhandler will have the option of adding to the prosecution's recommendations.

Marshall was initially charged with second-degree murder, first-degree robbery and felonious restraint, according to a June 24 indictment filed by Knight.

So far, Marshall and Daron Peal are the only co-defendants who have entered guilty pleas.

Peal, 23, is believed to have shot the gun that killed 22-year-old Aaron Hobson. He pleaded guilty July 28 to second-degree murder and armed criminal action. The prosecution recommended 25 years in prison for each count. His sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 12.

Knight said he has been in touch with Hobson's mother and paternal grandfather throughout the proceedings. He said they are supportive of the plea arrangements for both Marshall and Peal.

Marshall was 17 at the time of the shooting.  He and co-defendant Deshon Houston were the only two co-defendants on the witness list for the cases. 

Here is an updated list of future proceedings for each co-defendant:

  • Deshon Houston – hearing scheduled for Oct. 22.
  • Daron Peal – sentencing scheduled for Sept. 12.
  • Patrick Marshall – sentencing scheduled for Sept. 19.
  • Anthony Carr – hearing scheduled for Sept. 26; jury trial scheduled for Oct. 5
  • Darris Peal – jury trial scheduled for Sept. 27.
  • Lee Carter – hearing scheduled for Oct. 11; jury trial scheduled for Oct. 18.
  • Leo Roland – jury trial scheduled for Nov. 29
  • Tony Lewis – jury trial scheduled for Jan. 30, 2012.

Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements