COLUMBIA – Police found the bodies of William "Mack" Jones and his wife, Ruth Ann Jones, in their home Thursday morning. Fire Department Battalion Chief Steven Sapp said their house contained high levels of carbon monoxide.
At 11:41 a.m., Columbia firefighters responded to a reported natural gas leak at 209 Russell Blvd. Ameren personnel were also dispatched to the scene. However, firefighters using a gas monitor found “extremely high” levels of carbon monoxide instead of natural gas, Sapp said. As a result, Sapp said, the Ameren personnel didn’t take action.
Natural gas is commonly used for heating homes and cooking. Sapp said carbon monoxide is a byproduct generated by machines that run on fossil fuel, such as cars and electric generators.
Sapp said he could not identify the cause of the carbon monoxide in the home.
Their obituaries are here:
Ruth Ann: http://www.columbiamissourian.com/obits/obit/2121/
If you have memories of Mack and Ruth Ann, the Missourian would love to hear them. We invite you to comment below, or to email us at news@ColumbiaMissourian.com.