Energizer and Safe Kids USA partner to reduce battery-related deaths

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 | 8:26 a.m. CDT; updated 4:20 p.m. CDT, Tuesday, September 13, 2011

ST. LOUIS — The world's leading maker of so-called button batteries is partnering with a child safety advocacy group to raise awareness of a growing problem: Children swallowing the small batteries.

St. Louis-based Energizer and Safe Kids USA said that in 2010 alone, 3,400 cases were reported in the U.S. of children swallowing coin cell lithium batteries.

The battery doesn't cause choking. But when it gets stuck in the esophagus, saliva triggers a reaction that can cause severe burning. Seventeen deaths have been blamed on swallowed button batteries.

The batteries are commonly found in remote control devices, calculators, even musical greeting cards. Experts encourage parents and caregivers to keep those items and the batteries out of the reach of children and go immediately to an emergency room if swallowing is suspected.



Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.