COLUMBIA — A fire occurred Tuesday afternoon at a house at 7240 S. Highway 163, causing an estimated $80,000 in damage.
Gale Blomenkamp, a battalion chief at the scene, said the fire was under control in about 45 minutes, but crews continued to put out areas of the roof.
Crews responded in minutes after a second call was made. One person was inside the house at the time of the fire and called someone else who called 911.
Blomenkamp estimated between 18 to 24 firefighters were at the scene, and eight trucks responded.
The point of origin for the fire was around the chimney flue box. The fire spread to the vaulted ceiling over the living room area of the house. There were no injuries.
"Hot spots" — areas with burning embers or smouldering material — were in the rafters and joists of the ceiling. Crews on the roof cut away areas, while crews inside aimed hoses at the roof to blow away debris and contain hot spots.
"At this point, they'll be displaced for the evening," Blomenkamp said of the residents.
Firefighters also responded to a blaze on 7340 Southern Drive E in the Sunrise Estates subdivision that caused an estimated $40,000 in damage.
The fire was reported as a kitchen fire, and firefighters cannot rule out cooking as a cause.
A person who was in the house at the time of the fire was evaluated by Boone Hospital Ambulance Service for smoke inhalation but was not transported to the hospital.
There were no other reported injuries.