advertisement

South Highway 163 house fire causes $80,000 damage

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 | 9:58 p.m. CDT; updated 10:05 p.m. CDT, Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Firefighters work on hot spots of the roof of a home outside Pierpont on Highway 163 to put out a fire that originated near the chimney flue on Tuesday. Firefighters had to saw into the roof and use ladders on the inside and outside to battle the blaze.

COLUMBIA — A fire occurred Tuesday afternoon at a house at 7240 S. Highway 163, causing an estimated $80,000 in damage.

Gale Blomenkamp, a battalion chief at the scene, said the fire was under control in about 45 minutes, but crews continued to put out areas of the roof.

MoreStory


Related Media

Crews responded in minutes after a second call was made. One person was inside the house at the time of the fire and called someone else who called 911.

Blomenkamp estimated between 18 to 24 firefighters were at the scene, and eight trucks responded.

The point of origin for the fire was around the chimney flue box. The fire spread to the vaulted ceiling over the living room area of the house. There were no injuries.

"Hot spots" — areas with burning embers or smouldering material — were in the rafters and joists of the ceiling. Crews on the roof cut away areas, while crews inside aimed hoses at the roof to blow away debris and contain hot spots.

"At this point, they'll be displaced for the evening," Blomenkamp said of the residents.

Firefighters also responded to a blaze on 7340 Southern Drive E in the Sunrise Estates subdivision that caused an estimated $40,000 in damage.

The fire was reported as a kitchen fire, and firefighters cannot rule out cooking as a cause.

A person who was in the house at the time of the fire was evaluated by Boone Hospital Ambulance Service for smoke inhalation but was not transported to the hospital.

There were no other reported injuries.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements