JEFFERSON CITY — A fifth case of listeriosis in Missouri has been linked to contaminated cantaloupe from Colorado.
The state Department of Health and Senior Services said it was notified of the confirmation Wednesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The latest case is the third to be confirmed in Missouri's northwestern district. The other cases occurred in eastern and southwestern Missouri.
All five of the people sickened by the cantaloupe were hospitalized. One of those was a 94-year-old who later died, but medical officials determined the death was not caused by listeria bacteria.
Listeriosis is an infection caused by eating food contaminated with the bacteria listeria. Most healthy adults can consume listeria with no ill effects. Symptoms of listeriosis include fever, muscle aches and gastrointestinal problems.