COLUMBIA — Here's a list of events commemorating Veterans Day on Friday.
Remembrance Day National Roll Call
- When: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Where: Columbia College, Atkins-Holman Student Commons
- What: The names of those who have died during the past 10 years during Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom will be read, followed by a moment of silence at 1 p.m.
Mizzou Joint ROTC Veterans Day Parade and Ceremony
- When: 10:40 a.m.
- Where: The parade starts at the Columns on Francis Quadrangle and travels north on Eighth Street to the Boone County Courthouse.
- What: The parade will include Boone County veterans, the Railsplitters and other commemorative organizations, World War II vehicles and the Boone County Fire Protection District Pipes & Drums band. The parade will also feature for the first year Mizzou ROTC's Joint Pershing Rifle Team.
- At 11 a.m., there will be a ceremony at the Boone County Courthouse honoring veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. The ceremony will feature Marine Corps Maj. Gen. Arnold Fields and will conclude with a three-volley salute and taps at 11:11 a.m. that will signal the end of a vigil that began Thursday in front of the war memorials at the Boone County Courthouse.
Outward Bound for Veterans Benefit
- When: 11:11 a.m. and 6:45 p.m.
- Where: The atrium at Boone Landing, 109 N Keene St.
- What: A Veterans Day observance will be held at 11:11 a.m. Local singer Lois Ann Marler will perform patriotic songs at 6:45 p.m.
- The event is open to the public, and donations will be accepted. All proceeds go toward Outward Bound for Veterans, which helps returning service members and veterans readjust to life at home through wilderness courses. To RSVP, call 443-2007.
Rededication of the American War Mothers’ Memorial
- When: Noon
- Where: East of Memorial Union
- What: The public is invited to remember the 117 MU heroes who died during World War I with the rededication of the American War Mothers’ Memorial at its new site, outside of Stewart Hall.
Wreath Laying Ceremony
- When: 12:30 p.m.
- Where: Memorial Union tower, 518 Hitt St.
- What: The ceremony will recognize those who have served and continue to serve in the Armed Forces by laying a wreath at the Memorial Union tower. There will be a short commemorative ceremony and a reception for the veterans in attendance.
Presentation of the Purple Heart Stamp
- When: 1 p.m.
- Where: Stotler Lounge, Memorial Union
- What: The U.S. Postal Service will present a new Forever Stamp that will commemorate veterans indefinitely. The event will feature the stories of Purple Heart recipients followed by a reception.
University of Missouri Veterans Center Open House
- When: 1 to 3 p.m.
- Where: N5 Memorial Union
- What: Visit with MU student veterans and staff.