When will the perfect storm come? The conditions are in place.
First there was the Tea Party; now we have the Wall Street protests. I'm afraid little will come from these until we change our political system, as it breeds corruption.
Some changes that would help:
- A limit of one or two four-year terms for Congress.
- Scrap the party system with all candidates running independently.
- Limit each candidate to a maximum amount of campaign contributions.
- Drop the electoral system and go to popular vote.
- Establish a national registration voting identification system.
- Declare Election Day a national holiday.
We need to make our country more representative of all our citizens. We now have a government elected and controlled by the wealthy. This has resulted in the middle class being pushed into poverty, with 80 percent of the wealth of our country being controlled by only 20 percent of the population.
These and other conditions may be lining up for a perfect storm, meaning a revolution, as has happened throughout history and is happening in the Middle East and elsewhere.
Too many people of our country are more interested in sports, celebrities and the latest electronic gadgets than what is happening in our country and the world.
Democracy cannot last long without an educated, informed and involved citizenry, which we don't have.
Our health care and school systems are failing, even though we spend more money on them than any other country.
America must wake up and start seeing and taking care of its own problems instead of trying to police the world, as the greater dangers to our country are here at home.
Louis J. Anesi lives in Centralia.