COLUMBIA — To reduce the risk of burglary, it's not a good idea to post on social media websites that you are leaving town for Thanksgiving.
That's just one tip the Columbia Police Department is offering residents during the holiday season.
Other tips, according to a news release, include:
- Lock all doors and windows.
- Place a metal or wooden rod in the track of sliding glass doors.
- Turn on lights, radios or television to make your home look occupied.
- Make sure all outdoor lights are on and working.
- Ask somebody you trust to collect mail or newspapers for you.
Officers plan to patrol more in frequently targeted areas and to use unmarked cars along with regular police vehicles. People who are staying in town during the holiday season are encouraged to report any suspicious activity immediately to the police.
More information about neighborhood crime can be found online, according to the release.