advertisement

No injuries reported at two house fires

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 | 7:01 p.m. CST

COLUMBIA — A stove fire resulted in damage to kitchen cabinets but no injuries Tuesday at 3310 Jamesdale Road.

A second fire at 4515 Rice Road was also reported. There were no injuries, but more details were not available. 

Columbia Fire Department responded to the Jamesdale Road fire with three engines, one ladder, a heavy rescue squad and two incident command vehicles at 4:47 p.m. Public Information Officer Steven Sapp said that is the normal turnout for a residential fire of this nature. 

"It was a quick knockdown," Sapp said of the crew's work to extinguish the fire. 

Residents of the three adjoining apartments were evacuated to ensure their safety while firefighters checked the two-level brick building for signs the fire had spread. None were found, and the residents were allowed back into their homes. 

Jamesdale Road was closed to traffic until firefighters drained the supply line from the nearby hydrant and returned the fire hose to the truck. 

The building owner had been informed of the fire and was on his way, Sapp said. He did not release the owner's name, and estimates of the damages were not immediately available.  

According to Sapp, November through March are typically the busiest fire months both nationally and locally, but Columbia tends to fall below the national average with fewer and less serious fires.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Kim Small December 1, 2011 | 9:16 a.m.

"It was a quick knockdown," Sapp said of the crew's work to extinguish the fire. Yeah, because the crew didn't do ANY work to extinguish the fire at James Dale. (Not Jamesdale, btw.) The maintenance man had already extinguished it with a garden hose before the firemen even arrived. He also pointed out to them that what was left of the knob was still in the ON position after they said it must have been a short on the stove because they believed the tenant when she said she came home to find it on fire. Mr. Sapp here even told him the building would have been at least halfway gone if he hadn't been there. There were plenty of witnesses who could have disputed Mr. Sapp's blatant lies! Nice to know they provide false information to the media.

(Report Comment)

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements