ST. LOUIS — Gov. Jay Nixon announced Friday he will designate $1 million in grants for Missouri colleges and universities toward educating nurses.
The grants, which come as part of the Caring for Missourians initiative, will be given for the 2012, 2013 and 2014 fiscal years for schools to hire faculty, purchase educational equipment and offer scholarships. Money for the grants came from revenue generated from nursing license fees collected by the Missouri State Board of Nursing.
The board selected grant recipients, including public and private colleges. They could receive up to $150,000 per year.
The state Board of Nursing approved these grants for fiscal year 2012, according to a news release:
- Cox College (Springfield) - $149,978
- Mineral Area College (Park Hills) - $149,950
- Ozarks Technical Community College (Springfield) - $150,000
- MU - $149,540
- University of Missouri - Kansas City - $83,596
- University of Missouri - St. Louis - $149,996
- William Jewell College (Liberty) - $149,750