advertisement

Structure fire on Limerick Lane causes roof damage

Monday, December 19, 2011 | 3:49 p.m. CST

COLUMBIA — Embers from a fireplace caused a structure fire at a home in southwest Columbia on Sunday evening.

The Columbia Fire Department responded to a reported residential fire at 6:25 p.m. at 2609 Limerick Lane.

Crews were able to contain the fire using ground ladders and a ladder truck, according to a news release.

The fire burned through the roof of the home. Shingles were removed to search the attic space for hidden fires.

Matt Williams, who owns the home, had stepped outside the house to shake a rug when he saw excessive smoke and called 911.

Williams and his three children evacuated the house safely. Smoke detectors did not alert the family because there were none near the fire.

Assistant Fire Marshal Lisa Todd estimated the amount of damage to the home at $10,000, according to the news release.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements