COLUMBIA — Embers from a fireplace caused a structure fire at a home in southwest Columbia on Sunday evening.
The Columbia Fire Department responded to a reported residential fire at 6:25 p.m. at 2609 Limerick Lane.
Crews were able to contain the fire using ground ladders and a ladder truck, according to a news release.
The fire burned through the roof of the home. Shingles were removed to search the attic space for hidden fires.
Matt Williams, who owns the home, had stepped outside the house to shake a rug when he saw excessive smoke and called 911.
Williams and his three children evacuated the house safely. Smoke detectors did not alert the family because there were none near the fire.
Assistant Fire Marshal Lisa Todd estimated the amount of damage to the home at $10,000, according to the news release.