City to hold public hearing on priorities for community development

Friday, December 30, 2011 | 1:52 p.m. CST; updated 6:56 p.m. CST, Saturday, December 31, 2011

COLUMBIA — The city is seeking public opinion on community development needs to be included in the 2013 annual action plan.

The Community Development Commission will hold a public hearing at 7 p.m. Jan. 11 in the mezzanine conference room of the Daniel Boone City Building, 701 E. Broadway.

According to a city news release, the following needs will be discussed:

  • Public infrastructure: streets, sidewalks, storm drainage, parks and recreational facilities.
  • Community facilities and services: construction or renovation of community centers and buildings that serve various groups and neighborhoods.
  • Services for special needs populations: economic development and job training projects, homeless shelters and transitional housing, supportive services and other improvement projects.

The community development will primarily serve low- to moderate-income residents.

The development must be eligible for funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development through Community Development Block Grant funding, HOME funding or other sources of HUD funding, according to the release.

The Community Development Block Grant program provides federal funds to communities for affordable housing and public improvements and to create jobs through the expansion and retention of businesses.

Before Feb. 17, written comments can be submitted to the Community Development Department, 701 E. Broadway, P. O. Box 6015, Columbia, MO 65205, or emailed to

Residents can also take an online survey on the city's website.

The survey asks participants whether they support several uses of the block grant funding. Potential uses include public improvements, sidewalks and streets and other areas.

Comments will be forwarded to the Columbia City Council and considered as public comment for the city's 2013 action plan, according to the release.

A paper copy of the survey is also available from Community Development Department, which can be reached at 874-7239.

Like what you see here? Become a member.

Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.