COLUMBIA — In addition to the Arrowhead Motel and Calvary Cemetery, the city Historic Preservation Commission named four other properties to its 2012 Most Notable Properties list. The details were compiled by historic preservation consultant Deb Sheals and provided by the Historic Preservation Commission.
Located in the Grasslands subdivision, architect Harry Satterlee Bill designed and owned the 1928 house. Bill worked as a professor of architecture at MU for 17 years and co-founded the Missouri Association of Architects, now known as the Mid-Missouri Chapter of the American Institute of Architects.
Bill designed a variety of buildings but was especially fond of Tudor Revival architecture, which features steeply pitched roofs and high chimneys. Bill also built Warwick Village in Jefferson City and the Rollins House in the Grasslands neighborhood, among others.
No significant alterations have been made to the house in its 84 years.
Located at Rollins Street and Richmond Avenue, the Kappa Kappa Gamma House has hosted many celebrities, including actor Brad Pitt and former President Harry Truman and his wife, Bess, who had tea in the house in 1956.
Construction on the house was completed in 1929, and it houses MU’s oldest female Greek letter fraternity, according to the website of MU’s chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma.
The brick sorority house stands on the ground of the original estate of James Rollins, who helped establish MU in Columbia in 1839.
It’s hard to walk the grounds of Columbia College without noticing Missouri Hall, a former dormitory near Bass Commons that houses administrative offices and advising spaces.
Built in 1920, then-president of Columbia College Luella St. Clair-Moss supervised the construction while her sister, Maxine Miller Wallace, designed the building.
St. Clair-Moss was president of the school from 1893 to 1920, and most of the buildings on Bass Commons were built during her three terms. Missouri Hall was the final building constructed, made possible by a fund drive started by the Christian Church.
With cornice molding reading “19 TELEPHONE BUILDING 29,” the Columbia Telephone Building has been a fixture downtown for more than eight decades. The building has expanded through time, first extending to the rear in the early 1950s before additions to the south were made in the 1960s. A tower addition to the west was added in 1972.
Columbia Telephone Co. originally occupied the building in 1929. Shortly after, the company changed its name to Missouri Telephone Co., which was consolidated into General Telephone. The building now houses CenturyLink.
Much of the exterior of the original building remains the same, featuring glazed terra cotta, gold brick walls, a front door surround emulating limestone and a foundation sheathed with gray blocks reminiscent of granite.