CoMo You Know, a community wiki, adds context to stories of local interest and serves as a reference tool for readers.
Costing $350,000 to build, Memorial Stadium was carved out of a sizable natural valley that lay between twin bluffs south of campus . In 1972, the playing surface of Memorial Stadium was named Faurot Field to honor the legendary Missouri football coach and athletic director Don Faurot.
Location: 600 E Stadium Blvd, Columbia, MO 65201
Opened: October 2, 1926
Owner and operator: University of Missouri
Memorial Stadium opened in 1926. It was dedicated and named in memory of 112 Missouri graduates and students who died in World War I.
The playing surface at Memorial Stadium was named Faurot Field in 1972 in honor of the legendary Missouri football coach and athletic director, Don Faurot. Faurot coached the Tigers from 1935 to 1942 and then again from 1946 to 1956.
In 2003, MU chose a synthetic grass called FieldTurf to replace the natural grass surface on Faurot Field. The grass had been in place since 1995.
The "Rock M" was a gift from the freshman class in 1927 and stands above the stadium’s north end zone. It measures 90 feet wide and 95 feet high and was created using whitewashed rocks left over from the stadium’s production . Each year the new freshman class is invited to re-paint the “M” to prepare for the football season.
In 1999, a 13-foot statute was built and dedicated to Don Faurot and stands at the north end of Memorial Stadium.
The most recent renovations to the stadium occurred in 2009 with the addition of a high definition video board. Its display spans 80 feet by 31 1/2 feet. At the same time, an improved sound system was installed throughout the stadium.
New turf will be installed in time for the 2012 football season.
Links and sources
Official Website of Missouri Athletics: http://www.mutigers.com/
Historical Timeline of Memorial Stadium/Faurot Field: http://www.mutigers.com/facilities/fac-mem-faurot-fb-timeline.html
Seating Chart for Faurot Field: http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/miss/genrel/auto_pdf/fauret.pdf
Historical pictures: http://umcspace.missouri.edu/historic/buildings/Stadium/
Updated: Feb. 26, 2012