CoMo You Know, a community wiki, adds context to stories of local interest and serves as a reference tool for readers.
The Columbia Missourian is one of two daily newspapers distributed in Columbia, Missouri. The Missourian is directed by professional editors and staffed by Missouri School of Journalism students who do the reporting, design, copy editing, information graphics, photography and multimedia.
The first issue was released as the University Missourian on September 14, 1908, the first day of classes at the Missouri School of Journalism. Walter Williams, renowned journalist and founder of the Missouri School of Journalism, had the idea for a student-staffed newspaper as applied education for journalism students.
Address: 221 S. Eighth St., Columbia, MO 65201
Established: Sept. 14, 1908
Annual Sales: $5 to $10 million
Owner: University of Missouri
Editor: Tom Warhover
General manager: Daniel Potter
Published by the Missourian Publishing Association
Employees: 20 to 49
Contact: (573) 882-9951
1908: The University Missourian was published for the first time, alongside the first day of class for the newly formed Missouri School of Journalism. The Missourian was published five days a week during the school year and based in an office at Academic Hall. A single issue cost two cents.
1915: The University Missourian began publishing every day.
1916: The University Missourian was renamed The Daily Missourian.
1917: The paper was renamed The Evening Missourian.
1920: The paper was renamed the Columbia Evening Missourian. The name was later shortened to its current form, Columbia Missourian.
1958: The Columbia Missourian began publishing a Sunday edition, titled The Sunday Missourian, in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Missouri School of Journalism. The paper dropped Saturday publication in favor of The Sunday Missourian.
1962: The Missourian headquarters was moved to a newly constructed addition to Neff Hall. The building included floor space, a newsroom, a composing room, and a press room. It was dedicated in May of that year.
1968: The Missourian changed from afternoon to morning delivery with some opposition. Dean Earl English suspected students would fail to complete course work when working late on the paper, while printers also threatened to quit because of the change in their schedules.
1969: The Missourian produced its first extra in 24 years when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the moon.
1970: The Missourian updated technology with press-radio units, which allowed students to learn of new assignments without returning to the news room.
1972: Vibrations Magazine was added to the Sunday publication.
1985: The Missourian became the first daily newspaper to use a local-area network for production.
1986: The Missourian became the first newspaper in Missouri to install a computerized pagination system, eliminating hands-on page designing.
1992: The Missourian became one of the first newspapers to offer content in a digital format as well as the tradition print.
1995: The Missourian headquarters was moved to the newly constructed Lee Hills Hall. The building was funded by nearly $5 million in donations from Missouri journalism alumnae.
1998: The Missourian debuted a new Thursday magazine called Vox.
2008: The Missourian changed its emphasis from a print-first publication to a digital-first news organization. News is published seven days a week at ColumbiaMissourian.com. Newspaper publication was cut from seven days a week to five.
Updated: Feb. 26, 2012