COLUMBIA — A north Columbia mobile home was destroyed Sunday morning after bedding caught flame from an unattended candle. No one was injured.
At 3:41 a.m., the Columbia Fire Department responded to 2904 Rangeline St. in the Colonial Village mobile home park, sending three engines, a ladder truck and a rescue squad, according to a news release from the department.
The residents were at a neighboring mobile home, where the 911 call was made, and the fire department was on the scene in four minutes, Capt. John Metz said. It took 10 minutes to control the flames.
Homeowner Terry Agee, 59, told fire crews he and two other residents had moved the trailer into the park last week and utilities had not been connected yet. He said that the fire started in a bedroom and there was no working smoke alarm in the home, according to the news release.
The total damage is estimated at $12,000, and the home is in uninhabitable condition. The residents told the fire department that they didn't have insurance, according to the release.
Two volunteers from the American Red Cross Heart of Missouri Chapter have provided the family with a two-night stay at a hotel, personal hygiene items and resources to get food, clothing and shoes.