COLUMBIA — We have known Barbara Hoppe for many years and had the chance to see her in action as a volunteer in the community, a candidate, and as a member of the Columbia City Council. Several things about her have impressed us.
- She is dedicated to the betterment of our community. Nobody we know has given so much of herself to our general welfare.
- She is an extremely hard worker who puts in the long hours with a commitment to “get it right.”
- She sees the “big picture” and thinks through the implications of her decisions for all aspects of their impact.
- She is smart. She can understand complex issues and think them through with great intelligence.
- She is has integrity. She will not pander to the lowest common denominator, nor will she engage in personal attacks that demean the democratic process. Democracy in Columbia is stronger because of her.
Editor's note: The Missourian strives to publish differing views and welcomes letters to the editor. Letters should be about 400 words and must be signed. The deadline for submitting letters related to the April 3 election is March 29 to be published in the April 1 edition. Letters should be submitted to opinion editor Elizabeth Conner by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by mail at 221 S. Eighth St. Columbia, MO 65211 or by fax at 882-5702.
For all these reasons, we think it would be good for all of us if she were to be re-elected for another term.
Andrew Twaddle and Sarah Wolcott are Columbia residents.