COLUMBIA — A Saturday afternoon fire in a north-central Columbia house caused an estimated $50,000 of damage, according to a news release.
Firefighters were dispatched to 2810 Mulberry Road at 12:03 p.m. after neighbors reported the fire. Smoke and flames were coming from the front of the house, according to the release.
- Ensure cooking appliances are turned off before leaving the room or the home
- Install and maintain smoke alarms on each level of a house
- Install and maintain smoke alarms in each sleeping room
Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames quickly, then checked the home for hidden fire in the ceilings, walls and attic while they ventilated the smoke.
Investigators determined that the fire began on the stove top in the kitchen. The stove had been left on with a pan of grease on the burner while an occupant went to a nearby store, according to the release.
The occupant returned just before firefighters arrived and entered the house to release a dog from its crate.
There were no injuries to the occupant or the dog.
The smoke alarms appeared to be working, according to the release.
Unattended cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires in Columbia and one of the leading causes of fire across the U.S., according to the release.