advertisement

Kitchen fire causes $50,000 in damage in north-central Columbia

Saturday, March 17, 2012 | 4:49 p.m. CDT

COLUMBIA — A Saturday afternoon fire in a north-central Columbia house caused an estimated $50,000 of damage, according to a news release.

Firefighters were dispatched to 2810 Mulberry Road at 12:03 p.m. after neighbors reported the fire. Smoke and flames were coming from the front of the house, according to the release.

Request from the Columbia firefighters

  • Ensure cooking appliances are turned off before leaving the room or the home
  • Install and maintain smoke alarms on each level of a house
  • Install and maintain smoke alarms in each sleeping room


Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames quickly, then checked the home for hidden fire in the ceilings, walls and attic while they ventilated the smoke.

Investigators determined that the fire began on the stove top in the kitchen. The stove had been left on with a pan of grease on the burner while an occupant went to a nearby store, according to the release.

The occupant returned just before firefighters arrived and entered the house to release a dog from its crate. 

There were no injuries to the occupant or the dog.

The smoke alarms appeared to be working, according to the release. 

Unattended cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires in Columbia and one of the leading causes of fire across the U.S., according to the release.


Like what you see here? Become a member.


Show Me the Errors (What's this?)

Report corrections or additions here. Leave comments below here.

You must be logged in to participate in the Show Me the Errors contest.


Comments

Leave a comment

Speak up and join the conversation! Make sure to follow the guidelines outlined below and register with our site. You must be logged in to comment. (Our full comment policy is here.)

  • Don't use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Don't use language that makes personal attacks on fellow commenters or discriminates based on race, religion, gender or ethnicity.
  • Use your real first and last name when registering on the website. It will be published with every comment. (Read why we ask for that here.)
  • Don’t solicit or promote businesses.

We are not able to monitor every comment that comes through. If you see something objectionable, please click the "Report comment" link.

You must be logged in to comment.

Forget your password?

Don't have an account? Register here.

advertisements