COLUMBIA — Five fire trucks responded to a house fire at 811 Cypress Lane on Thursday afternoon.
The occupants of the residence were not home, and no one was injured.
The fire started in the front of the house and extended into the attic, Columbia Fire Department Capt. John Metz said. Neighbors reported the incident at 2:24 p.m., and the Fire Department responded three minutes later. It took an additional 15 minutes for the fire to be controlled, according to a press release by the fire department.
Smoke alarms were sounding in the house when the firefighters entered, Metz said.
Columbia Fire Investigator Lt. Brian Davison determined the fire was an accidental "result of improperly discarded smoking materials," and estimated the damage at $50,000, according to the same press release.
The supervising editor is Dan Burley.