COLUMBIA — For some women, their first week at Mizzou will be the week of Greek recruitment.
Recruitment, the formal process that potential sorority members partake in to find the right chapter house, takes place before the semester begins in August.
Men's recruitment happens in June during Summer Welcome. It is more of an informal, meet-and-greet session that allows potential members to visit the 28 chapters. Fraternities also recruit members year round.
Recruitment week for women includes visits to 15 Greek houses for a chance to learn more about each chapter and its philanthropy.
The point is to find a home at Mizzou, but it can be a little overwhelming with so many options.
Teagan Russell, vice president of Recruitment-External, will tell you what to expect and give some advice for the week.
- Just be yourself and have an open mind.
- Know what you want out of an organization before the week starts. That way you can ask specific questions that are important to you.
- It will be a busy week. The days start around 8 and 9.
- You'll meet a lot of new people.
- You'll get three T-shirts that are to be worn on certain days. On Wednesday and Friday, you will have to put together outfits. Wednesday might be a skirt and top while Friday is a little bit more formal.
- It usually rains and will be hot so it is important to prepare for the weather.
- Keep in mind that everything happens for a reason. You will end up where you are meant to be.
"It's a really long week but it is a really fun week," Russell said. "You meet a lot of really cool people and it's a great way to start your Mizzou experience."