SALISBURY — A fire that destroyed a barn and heavy farm equipment in north-central Missouri is being blamed on overheated hay.
KMIZ-TV reports the blaze broke out around 9 a.m. Monday near the Chariton County town of Salisbury.
Firefighters say bales of hay stored in the barn got too hot and spontaneously ignited. Temperatures in the area have reached the 80s and 90s for the past few days.
No injuries were reported, but the barn was deemed a total loss with damages estimated at $75,000. The barn contained about 100 bales of hay as well as a tractor, baler and truck.