COLUMBIA — The source of the second fire at 4301 Vermont Court in Columbia Wednesday has been confirmed as a smoldering ember in the attic.
The initial fire occurred at 6:22 a.m. and was contained in the garage. At 10:17 a.m., a second fire emerged, and firefighters were called back to the house to extinguish it.
Columbia Fire Department Capt. John Metz said the two fires are related.
An ember from the first fire Wednesday morning might have traveled through the air and landed in the attic, Metz said. The Fire Department checked the attic after the original fire but did not detect anything unusual.
Two fires occurring at one house is “rare, but occasionally happens,” Metz said.
The cause of the first fire was determined to be accidental, caused by smoldering embers from a torch in the garage workshop.
The four residents and six pets of the house escaped both fires safely.
Supervising editor is Jake Kreinberg.